Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Peru at last!

After taking off from ft. lauderdale airpost i had a 5 hour flight to get to Lima. On the flight i sat next to a man named jorge who gave me a lot of good tips on what to do when i got to peru. Once we landed i made it fairly easy through customs and found jenny the project leader outside of the gates. We had to put my luggage in storage and then take a bus two hours to dr. matthews mom´s house. It was quite an experience to get off the plane and then get packed into a little bus with about 20 other people! In the morning we made the 2 hour bus ride back to the airport were we met up with Mr. and Mrs. Neish who were flying with us to Pulcallpa. The flight to Pulcallpa lasted about 1 hour. We got to fly over the andes and then we landed in the jungle were pulcallpa is located. Once we got off the plane we got picked up and driven around pulcallpa. Later that day we went to our new home at Km. 38 which is exactly 38 km. from pulcallpa. The house we live in is very rustic but we have running water and a bathroom and shower. This week we have been having meetings about what we will be doing as well as spanish lessons and cultural experiences. One of the cool things that i got to do was drive the project truck through the traffic of pulcallpa which needless to say is insane. If there are any rules I sure haven´t seen them in action. Lanes are disregarded and people watch out for their bumper and knowbody elses. A typical day in my life goes about like this. At about 6 am the sun rises which helps to wake me up in the morning. I usually get up, have my worship and then do some of the chores around the house such as sweeping or letting out the sheep. After chores comes breakfast prep which can take up to an hour. After breakfast we have worship as a team and go over the activities for the day. Usually we have a spanish lesson in the morning and project orientation meetings. In the afternoon we sometimes go shopping for food or work at the project. Once this week we went swimming and I have attempted to play Futbol without any luck so far. In a couple of weeks we go on our fist clinic which should be quite an adventure. Thanks for all the prayers from everyone. I will continue to keep you up to date as the weeks go by. I would especially appreciate it if you would pray for the project as it is going through lots of growing and changing! Keep in touch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

brent sounds like you're having a fun time down there. i'm glad that you made it safely there. anyway i'll be sending those rings down, but don't expect anything to expensive, it costs an arm and a leg to mail anything there. i'm thinking pink plastic ones otta do it. let me know if you have any objections. lol. but seriously dude, i have a lot of respect for you doing this. it takes a lotta guts to do what you're doing, way more than it takes to jump out of a car (which by the way, i had a friend teach me how to jump out correctly so wish me luck on my next attempt). keep up the good work and i'll keep you in my prayers. don't forget to drop me a line (that means don't forget to write just in case you didn't know) godbless

wadenheimer

Unknown said...

oh, brent! i'm soo glad you made it safely! i'm sooo super happy that you're doing your personal worships: very extremely important! and that there are sheep! be good to the sheep... they're my fave animal... lol! keep safe and good luck on your first mission! learn that spanish, boy! you're in our prayers...

gretchen said...

wow i cant believe you drove down there! I won't even attempt Chicago I made my poor half blind mother do it last weekend. Well, my whole family is praying for you especially me and my mom (whom I dont think you ever met but oh well details details)and we will continue to do so...good luck with the project :)

David and Lynn Steen said...

Brent,
Glad to hear that you arrived safely. God is good. We will continue to keep you in our prayers. He has you there for a reason - both for your growth and that of some special individuals there in Pucallpa.

Alex said...

Do not take the sheep for granted... it was my idea to get them when we mowed our entire lawn with machetes when the cultivator wasn't working. Also, sometime you should suggest that everyone go back to the previous water system for a week... just so you can truly feel the luxury of running water.

michelle said...

sheep... that was awkwardly surprising~ =P